Science at Foxdell Junior School:
- Continues the excellent work of our Early Years Key Stage One teachers at our Infant School to ensure that progression through the science curriculum is maintained in terms of both skills and knowledge and understanding which is the bedrock of Primary Science.
- Ensures our Science teaching has a strong, positive impact on the learning of our children at key Stage 2 so that they reach age related expectations at the end of every year phase and at the end of the key stage.
- Deepens the understanding of our children through the key stage.
- Ensures that children fully understand and can use the skills of ‘Working Scientifically’ as defined in The National Curriculum, in order to facilitate their investigative and factual classwork.
- Enables the children to learn collaboratively in the science classroom to answer scientific questions posed by their class teacher.
- Ensures that children understand and can use the scientific principles of; planning measurement, change, prediction, fair testing (as an when appropriate), recording data, presenting findings and concluding against prediction.
- Develop the skills of our children to ensure that they can facilitate their own learning within group and independent investigative work.
These objectives are achieved through focussed topic work where science is always seen as a link to not only the world around them but also through the other subjects of the National Curriculum such as maths, science and history.
Our school has a dedicated science room where high quality resources are available to our children to make learning not only effective but fun too!
Our children are assessed both formatively and summatively by their teachers to ensure accurate Assessment For Learning, which in turn will ensure good progress.
Science at Foxdell Junior School engages, inspires and motivates our children to take their learning forward to High School and beyond.